How to Make a Math of Art
I find it useful to begin any discussion with a definition of terms.
The following definitions have been adapted from the online version of the
- a question about manner (which might be a method of artistic
execution or mode of presentation) or method (which might be
a systematic procedure, technique, or mode of inquiry employed
by or proper to a particular discipline or art). Method implies an
orderly logical effective arrangement usually in steps and manner
implies a procedure or method that is individual or distinctive.
- to cause to exist, occur, or appear.
- to fit, intend, or destine by or as if by creating, to bring into
being by forming, shaping, or altering material.
- to put together from components.
- the science of numbers and their operations, interrelations,
combinations, generalizations, and abstractions and of space
configurations and their structure, measurement, transformations,
- a branch of, operation in, or use of mathematics --
i.e. the mathematics of physical chemistry, the mathematics of art.
- skill acquired by experience, study, or observation -- i.e. the art
of making friends.
- an occupation requiring knowledge or skill -- i.e. the art of organ
- the conscious use of skill and creative imagination especially in the
production of aesthetic objects; also: works so produced.
- decorative or illustrative elements in printed matter.
- The faculty of executing well what one has devised, also implying a
personal, unanalyzable creative power.
Back to Math of Art homepage